Re: Name Capitalization

Hi Paul,

[comments below inline]

On 3/19/07, Paul Novitski <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 3/19/2007 07:17 PM, Leonard Burton wrote:
>What my case is that I have came across a list of names that I need to
>use and all of the names were in caps.  From there anything is a step
>in the right direction.
>
>As you know, anytime you parse anything in bulk there will be
>exceptions to the rule.
>
>My goal would be to just pick the most common usage.  If von Dielengan
>is supposed to be VonDielengan in one case or Von Dielengan in another
>is ok, it can be manually retouched later.
>
>The CPAN class that someone posted earlier has some good points except
>its not in PHP.
>
>I will be working on some code sometime over the next 3 to 5 days and
>might send it to you if you are willing to look at it.

Sure, it sounds like fun.  I've written de-cap routines before for
whole addresses, names included.  It's an amusing challenge to
whittle down the error rate.

I'll be interested to compare notes on strategies for implementing
this efficiently in PHP.

I have set up a Google Code Page for this project.
http://code.google.com/p/lastname

Initially I had a coder translate the project to PHP.

What do you think of how it is implemented?

Would you still like to help work on it?

Thanks and take care,

--
Leonard Burton, N9URK
http://www.jiffyslides.com

"The prolonged evacuation would have dramatically affected the
survivability of the occupants."