Re: Name Capitalization

On Mon, March 19, 2007 11:22 am, Leonard Burton wrote:
> Does anyone use a library to properly capitalize last names?
>
> For instance, McDonald needs to remain that way even if it comes in as
> MACDONALD, or macdonald.
>
> Of course I can write it on my own but would prefer not to reinvent
> the wheel.

We just beat that horse last week, didn't we?

MacDonald
Macdonald
Mcdonald
McDonald
O'Rrien
von Freeman
Von Freeman
Del Castillo
del Castillo
SONiA
Bo3b

All of the above are the CORRECT spelling of names, though I confess I
cheated and put in two first names (the last two).

Note that these are literally people I know, or know of, whose names
are spelled that way.  There are millions more.

And that's just legal names, not getting into artists' stage names,
except where they filed papers to make it their legal name.

You cannot possibly write software to "fix" this.

Make the user double-check the spelling is your only recourse.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?