Re: Name Capitalization

Leonard Burton wrote:
> HI All,
>
> Does anyone use a library to properly capitalize last names?
>
> For instance, McDonald needs to remain that way even if it comes in as
> MACDONALD, or macdonald.

for starters you'll have a hard time getting any routine to 'correct'
the missing 'a' - especially given that sometime is 'Mc' and sometimes
it's 'Mac'

> Of course I can write it on my own but would prefer not to reinvent the
> wheel.

probably any wheel out there is going to be fairly lame, yours included,
no offence meant as to your skills, it's just that I believe the task is
nigh on impossible - and I'm not the only one (to quote John Lennon).
this was discussed on this list within the last 7 days.

in short the given routine will be massive and it will be error prone because
computers are stupid and trying to get them to understand the intracasies
of name capitilization and grammar is a nightmare you probably don't
want to be part of.

of course if you do come up with something workable there are plenty
that would be interested in what you came up with :-)