Re: Server side speech

On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 15:44 -0500, Richard Lynch wrote:
> On Wed, April 25, 2007 7:10 pm, Robert Cummings wrote:
> >> he's
> >>
> >> Or you have a spare computer in your closet that you can install the
> >> same OS as the server has, and the you compile the binary, and
> >> upload
> >> that, and then you can just 'exec' that.
> >
> > Bleh, this is the era of virtualization... instal vmware server and
> > then
> > have a any given distro virtualized as a development server for
> > migrating binaries to production servers. I do this with various Red
> > Hat, Debian, Ubuntu, and CentOS flavours. And it's the only way to run
> > Windows to test in IE.
>
> I happen to have a lot of hardware laying around...
>
> Part of why I'm buying a house.
>
> Too much stuff.
>
> VMWare is nifty if your computer has the ooomph to handle it.
>
> I got turned off of VMWare early on, because I found myself endlessly
> tweaking the RAM settings to get better performance out of whichever
> VM I was needing at any given time, and it was too painful to do that.

I first used vmware back in 2000 and thought it was cool then, but the
currently free vmware server is a completely different beast than that
was. First it provides common OS choices to choose form when installing
an OS. It suggest what you should allocate as minimum and good memory
settings, and it provides tabbing between multiple running VMs and also
includes really easy bridged networking etc so your vms can transfer
between the host computer and even other VMs. And of course, one of my
favourite features is that it can now connect an ISO image on the host
as the CDROM. Ditto for floppy disk images (if you want to install
windows 3.11 like I did (for giggles and farts :))

Cheers,
Rob.