Re: Server side speech

Daniel Brown wrote:
   Tedd,

   On all of the *nix boxes I use (and have used) I've had to install
Festival manually, so I would definitely not say that it's commonly found on
there.... especially for a server configuration.

But it IS commonly available, so why not just make it a prerequisite for utilizing this utility?

On 4/25/07, tedd <tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

At 2:07 PM -0500 4/25/07, Richard Lynch wrote:
>On Wed, April 25, 2007 2:00 pm, tedd wrote:
>>  However, server-side "text to speech" is possible by delivering the
>>  sound to the browser via EMBED or BGSOUND tags -- an example of this
>>  can be seen here:
>
>I have run "Festival" server side via PHP to generate audio snippets
>of spoken word.
>
>All you really need is one of the "desktop" packages to have a command
>line interface and http://php.net/exec

Richard:

I've read about Festival and there are even some php routines that
use it. But I'm doing this from/for a virtual host. I'm looking for a
set of routines that I could place server-side and thus use to speak
web text.

I need something that I can share with others, not something special
for just my site.

-OR-

Is there a standard *nix package that I could access via exec to do
this? Is Festival commonly found on *nix?

You see, what I'm thinking is, if I can get the code/technique, then
I might be able to provide a way for non-technical types to have
their sites speak. Maybe it's just foolish thinking, but I'm prone to
that. :-)

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

tedd