Re: Server side speech

On Wed, April 25, 2007 3:27 pm, Daniel Brown wrote:
>     That's fine if you can find a shared host (as the OP states he's
> using)
> that's willing to install it on their servers.

Or you have a spare computer in your closet that you can install the
same OS as the server has, and the you compile the binary, and upload
that, and then you can just 'exec' that.

You'll have to fight with it, maybe, if it's stupid about where to
find config files and you'll have to set up the exact same path on
your closet box that you have on your live server, and convince it
with --prefix to install everything where you can get at it, but I've
done this with several packages.

Or if you have SSH on your shared host (some do; some don't) you can
download and compile on the server, again with --prefix, to get what
you want.

It's sometimes challenging, particularly with badly-written
'configure' scripts that have never actually correctly implemented
--prefix and all that, but it's usually do-able, eventually, if you
keep at it.

Though, honestly, it's usually easier to just find a better host for a
little more money where they'll install Festival (or whatever) for
you, if you just ask them.

I suppose a *real* hacker at this point would just offer to add
Festival as a PECL extension to PHP.

That would be kinda fun...

Probasbly not terribly difficult.

And could lead to a heck of a lot of interesting PHP applications...

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?