Re: Server side speech

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 16:26 -0500, Richard Lynch wrote:
> On Wed, April 25, 2007 3:27 pm, Daniel Brown wrote:
> >     That's fine if you can find a shared host (as the OP states he's
> > using)
> > that's willing to install it on their servers.
>
> Or you have a spare computer in your closet that you can install the
> same OS as the server has, and the you compile the binary, and upload
> that, and then you can just 'exec' that.

Bleh, this is the era of virtualization... instal vmware server and then
have a any given distro virtualized as a development server for
migrating binaries to production servers. I do this with various Red
Hat, Debian, Ubuntu, and CentOS flavours. And it's the only way to run
Windows to test in IE.

FWIW, my dev box is a measly Athlon 2400 with 2 gigs RAM (yeah yeah,
Lynch has a shittier system than me ;), and having 2 or 3 VMs running at
the same time is quite smooth unless I'm running something heavy in
each. VMWare also lets you access running virtual machines on another
computer (sort of like VNC but better).

Cheers,
Rob.