Re: PHP textbook suggestions?

Chris Lott wrote:
> I'd still like some actual recommendations for a good book for beginners.
>
> I think this discussion is getting a little ridiculous... I have my
> preferences for a textbook based on 5 years of experience in teaching
> this class. Of course I teach my students about superfluous
> parentheses as in:
>
> print ("me");
>
> And the difference in quoting styles...
>
> But these are COMPLETE beginners, even beyond beginners, many having
> never even really thought about programming. I am lucky if 1/2 of them
> have basic HTML. So they get easily confused by differences in sample
> code... sure they learn, eventually, to deal with that, but if I can
> avoid making it harder on them I will.
>
> I prefer not having variables in double quotes for the most part--
> syntax highlighters do a better job, and in the confusing (especially
> for a beginners) jumble of quoted HTML attributes and PHP syntax,
> etc... it is easier to spot and see the variables. And it reinforces
> the difference between displaying a variable and its contents.
>
> All that being said, I've yet to see two books that are consistent
> with one another, much less with me, so I said it was a PREFERENCE.
> All of your argument has resulted in-- as far as I can tell-- one
> anti-recommendation.

which Jay completely countered ;-)

> So if anyone has any productive ideas for a good textbook for
> beginners, my ears are open.

I don't have personal experience with beginner books but the following
caught my attention, it seems to have pretty good reader reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/PHP-MySQL-Dynamic-Web-Sites/dp/0321186486/sr=8-6/qid=1162762408/ref=pd_bbs_6/002-0085017-3836034?ie=UTF8&s=books