Re: PHP textbook suggestions?

I'd still like some actual recommendations for a good book for beginners.

I think this discussion is getting a little ridiculous... I have my
preferences for a textbook based on 5 years of experience in teaching
this class. Of course I teach my students about superfluous
parentheses as in:

print ("me");

And the difference in quoting styles...

But these are COMPLETE beginners, even beyond beginners, many having
never even really thought about programming. I am lucky if 1/2 of them
have basic HTML. So they get easily confused by differences in sample
code... sure they learn, eventually, to deal with that, but if I can
avoid making it harder on them I will.

I prefer not having variables in double quotes for the most part--
syntax highlighters do a better job, and in the confusing (especially
for a beginners) jumble of quoted HTML attributes and PHP syntax,
etc... it is easier to spot and see the variables. And it reinforces
the difference between displaying a variable and its contents.

All that being said, I've yet to see two books that are consistent
with one another, much less with me, so I said it was a PREFERENCE.
All of your argument has resulted in-- as far as I can tell-- one
anti-recommendation.

So if anyone has any productive ideas for a good textbook for
beginners, my ears are open.

Chris Lott