Re: Speed of apache/php4 on windows

On Sat, March 31, 2007 3:49 pm, Don Don wrote:
> Hi all, i've got apache/php4 running on windows xp with good hardware
> configuration etc. However, the speed of execution of php pages is
> really slow.   When testing on my local development machine it takes a
> few more seconds executing php files than it should normally take.
>
>   How can I up the speed of execution ?  is this possible ?  On my
> hosting server its really really fast !  and I will like the same
> settings for my local machine as it has a very good hardware
> configuration and memory.

Just for fun, throw an Ubuntu disk in the box, and time your PHP
scripts without Windows being in the way -- That will give you a
baseline for YOUR hardware, independent of the webhosting hardware.

Did you install Apache with PHP as a CGI (rather than Module)?
If so, php.exe has to start up, in its own process/thread/whatever,
for each page hit.
This can add significant time, I believe.
You can check using <?php phpinfo();?> in a script and seeing if your
SAPI is "CGI" or "Module"

There are also a zillion things in Windows that could be running, many
of which are real dogs.
What does your process list show? (control-alt-del will get you to it)

Presumably there are general process profiling tools on Windows, akin
to valgrind/callgrind on Linux.
Find one, and see if it can shed any light on the matter.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?