Re: Re: how to display images stored in DB

>> > Not in my environment. All db servers have RAID 10 over 8 SCSI 15K
>> > disks. Pulling from them is always faster than a webserver pulling
>> > from its SATA drive.
>>
>> That's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.
>
> That is true, and sort of the point.

Not really, anything that you provide for the database, could equally be
used for the image server.

> However, the whole thing started because someone was asking a trivial
> question. The assumption there is that they are on a hosted
> environment, likely with the the web server and the database on the
> same server. Chances are the filesystem will be a better bet for them
> for speed. But on such a system, the speed difference may not be much
> of a concern.
>
> Where I am, I am forced to think about different things, so my
> viewpoint may be improperly colored. Its completely random that I'm
> posting to this list at all...
>
>> > Also, there is issue of going to the database and going to the
>> > filesystem. Timing wise, you
>>
>> Please explain.
>
> I'm making assumptions about the layout again. The database will
> likely already have the table files opened, but will need a seek to
> get the data. The webserver will have to do an additional seek (I was
> assuming on a far slower drive system, and likely twice for stat and
> read).

I'm not sure I trust this assessment.If it is an often used image it will
be in OS level cache. If it is not, then you will have the I/O.
Regardless, it will be using SQL database cache blocks and reduce the
efficacy of the SQL cache.