Re: Re: how to display images stored in DB

> At 5:04 PM -0500 2/28/07, Mark wrote:
>>Images are typically best supported in the form of files. They are more
>>easily manipulated by external tools.
>>-snip-
>>I could go on, but it should be clear enough that putting images in a
>>database is not a good idea.
>
> It's clear enough to me that it's not a bad idea -- it depends upon
> the purpose.

Obviously, I don't agree.

> You also said:
>
> At 10:08 PM -0500 2/28/07, markw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>No, it just seems like if the only tool you are comfortable with is a
>>hammer, then every job is more or less exactly like a nail.
>
> Interesting, someone usually makes that comment to one who has a
> limited repertoire.

Or needs a smart ass way of saying that someone is using the wrong tool
for the job.

> On one hand, I'm advocating using dB for image storage when the needs
> of the job are better served by doing that, while you only see only
> one way and that is to use the file system.

Actually, I think you would be hard pressed to make a viable case for
storing bitmap images in a database. Just because you *can* do it, does
not mean it is a good solution to the problem.

> Can you not imagine any scenario where storing images in a dB would
> be a better choice? Or is this the hammer and nail thing you stated
> but failed to realize you were practicing?

Well, to be honest, I can't think of a single instance where storing
bitmap data in a database is a good idea. I've done everything from DICOM
systems to huge web sites, and it has never been a solution that did not
introduce more problems than it solves.

Storing a bitmap path in the database is far more flexible and efficient.

> I suggest, and it's only a suggestion, that before you condemn one
> practice and advocate another that you know both the good and bad of
> both.

In this discussion I have stated reasons why it is a bad idea. No one has
come up with a counter point which can only be served by a database and
thus proves me wrong. I think that says something.