Re: Re: how to display images stored in DB

> Not in my environment. All db servers have RAID 10 over 8 SCSI 15K
> disks. Pulling from them is always faster than a webserver pulling
> from its SATA drive.

That's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

That is true, and sort of the point.

However, the whole thing started because someone was asking a trivial
question. The assumption there is that they are on a hosted
environment, likely with the the web server and the database on the
same server. Chances are the filesystem will be a better bet for them
for speed. But on such a system, the speed difference may not be much
of a concern.

Where I am, I am forced to think about different things, so my
viewpoint may be improperly colored. Its completely random that I'm
posting to this list at all...

> Also, there is issue of going to the database and going to the
> filesystem. Timing wise, you

Please explain.

I'm making assumptions about the layout again. The database will
likely already have the table files opened, but will need a seek to
get the data. The webserver will have to do an additional seek (I was
assuming on a far slower drive system, and likely twice for stat and
read).

Putting the files in the DB doesn't always remove extra cleanup/management
stuff. Sometimes the database stores binary objects as files and sometimes
they don't get deleted correctly.

I'm dying to know what database you are using that puts every blob in
a separate file these days.