Re: REST, SOAP or XML-RPC?

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 23:00 -0600, Richard Lynch wrote:
> Presumably one can choose to install only some of the options.
>
> Of course, now you're into the wonderful land of module
> dependencies...  Good luck!

Module dependencies are sorted out by the framework already. We have
modelled our dependency issues around debian's aptitude, although in
text/php...

> REST should be fine.
>
> You should perhaps design it modularly enough that swapping in SOAP or
> RPC would not be too difficult.

Yes, I think that that would probably be wise. Most of our code is
designed in this way anyway, like we have 3 different WYSIWYG editor
choices as well...

> I don't think you'll need FTP in PHP...
>
> Your client code can just download with fopen/fread, same as it
> already is doing the tar.gz files...
>
> You're more likely to be bitten by hosts turning off allow_url_fopen
> though.

Oh yeah, forgot about that one!

> I believe REST is the most light-weight bandwidth of the REST/SOAP/RPC
> crowd...

I believe so too. I am taking a look at hacking around with the PEAR
channel server code.

--Paul

All Email originating from UWC is covered by disclaimer http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/uwc2006/content/mail_disclaimer/index.htm