REST, SOAP or XML-RPC?

I am developing a webservice like module for our framework that will
enable downloads of module code into the framework modules from a remote
server.

Basically what this should do is:

1. User requests a list of available stable modules from server
2. User clicks on install from the returned list
3. Client code will download a tgz/zip module and plonk it in the users
modules directory (taken care of)
4. Framework then unzips/untars it and installs (taken care of)

My question here is...

For the server/client code, I am thinking around REST (much the same way
as the PEAR channel server works). Is this the wisest choice? Should I
rather go with FTP or a mail request or something? If I go for FTP, that
will require the PHP FTP extension, how common is that in shared hosting
environments?

The file size of a typical  module is around 100k, and we must take into
account that this is in/for bandwidth starved Africa. Is REST/SOAP
robust enough to do that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--Paul

All Email originating from UWC is covered by disclaimer http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/uwc2006/content/mail_disclaimer/index.htm