Re: REST, SOAP or XML-RPC?

On Sun, February 4, 2007 10:38 pm, Paul Scott wrote:
> I am developing a webservice like module for our framework that will
> enable downloads of module code into the framework modules from a
> remote
> server.
>
> Basically what this should do is:
>
> 1. User requests a list of available stable modules from server

I'd go for RSS for this bit, personally.

> 2. User clicks on install from the returned list

Presumably one can choose to install only some of the options.

Of course, now you're into the wonderful land of module
dependencies...  Good luck!

> 3. Client code will download a tgz/zip module and plonk it in the
> users
> modules directory (taken care of)

> 4. Framework then unzips/untars it and installs (taken care of)
>
> My question here is...
>
> For the server/client code, I am thinking around REST (much the same
> way
> as the PEAR channel server works). Is this the wisest choice?

REST should be fine.

You should perhaps design it modularly enough that swapping in SOAP or
RPC would not be too difficult.

> Should I
> rather go with FTP or a mail request or something? If I go for FTP,
> that
> will require the PHP FTP extension, how common is that in shared
> hosting
> environments?

I don't think you'll need FTP in PHP...

Your client code can just download with fopen/fread, same as it
already is doing the tar.gz files...

You're more likely to be bitten by hosts turning off allow_url_fopen
though.

> The file size of a typical  module is around 100k, and we must take
> into
> account that this is in/for bandwidth starved Africa. Is REST/SOAP
> robust enough to do that?

I believe REST is the most light-weight bandwidth of the REST/SOAP/RPC
crowd...

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?