Re: Re: REST, SOAP or XML-RPC?

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 23:00 -0600, Gregory Beaver wrote:
> Why not use PEAR itself?  The last chapter of my book
> (http://www.packtpub.com/book/PEAR-installer) is a step-by-step tutorial
> on designing just such a module that would allow downloads of module
> code from a remote server.  It also includes all the code, which is
> publicly and freely available from the pear.chiaraquartet.net channel
> (package MyBlog).  The code is a useful example of embedding the PEAR
> installer and of designing customized REST, but it might be tricky to
> understand the design methodology without the prose of the book.

Greg,

Thanks. I have actually already set up a PEAR channel server a year (or
more) back when the channel server code was first released. I never
really got round to playing with it much, but now seems as good a time
as any! ;)

My vision was to actually package the entire framework and all modules
as packages on that server, but at the time, I was really busy, and
didn't really look into it as hard as I should have...My main concern
was that some of our users/partners were struggling with installing PEAR
as it was, and our framework is basically glue that holds *most* of the
PEAR packages together and then some on top of that.

If there is a more elegant way of integrating the PEAR installer etc
into the framework, as a plugin module, you would have answered my
prayers!

I will take a look at your book as well. Is there somewhere I can buy it
from as well? We are soft funded GPL project, and as such we have a huge
budget for literature that we hardly use. I would like to support PEAR
and its developers in other ways too (not just patches, bug reports and
testing...)

I will hack around with the code a while and see what I can come up
with. I don't really want to spend so much time on this that it becomes
a mission, and I _know_ that PEAR works elegantly...

Thanks again for your input. I will let you know what happens.

--Paul

All Email originating from UWC is covered by disclaimer http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/uwc2006/content/mail_disclaimer/index.htm