Re: Billing client for studying documentation

On Sat, February 3, 2007 8:09 pm, Mike Mannakee wrote:
> I have a php project I have been working on for several months.  The
> client's requirements have expanded to include interfacing to an
> online
> service using xml, which I was familiar with but have never worked
> with
> prior to this project.  I have spent a good number of hours reading up
> on
> xml, and learning how to use it to integrate with this online service.
> have also spent hours poring over hundreds of pages of documentation
> for the
> online service itself.
>
> My question is this - should I be billing the client for this time?
> It is
> needed to properly work with this framework, but it is not programming
> time
> in itself.  Googling the topic has been useless.

You should probably discuss it with the client...

Actually, you should have discussed it before you started researching.
:-v

That said, you can probably safely invoice for a few hours of "XML
research", but it shouldn't be big enough to be more than a line item
in the whole project invoice.

On the plus side, acquiring knowledge is always expensive, and almost
always worth the expense. :-)

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?