Re: Billing client for studying documentation

Mike,

Talk to the client, and explain the situation. I'm sure that you will
be able to work out some sort of agreement. It may not be for all the
hours, but that's not unreasonable considering the fact that this was
not explained before you went ahead with your research.

If nothing else, you come out on top with knowledge of what you
learned during this experience.

Good luck,
- Craige

On 2/5/07, Richard Lynch <ceo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, February 3, 2007 8:09 pm, Mike Mannakee wrote:
> I have a php project I have been working on for several months.  The
> client's requirements have expanded to include interfacing to an
> online
> service using xml, which I was familiar with but have never worked
> with
> prior to this project.  I have spent a good number of hours reading up
> on
> xml, and learning how to use it to integrate with this online service.
> have also spent hours poring over hundreds of pages of documentation
> for the
> online service itself.
>
> My question is this - should I be billing the client for this time?
> It is
> needed to properly work with this framework, but it is not programming
> time
> in itself.  Googling the topic has been useless.

You should probably discuss it with the client...

Actually, you should have discussed it before you started researching.
:-v

That said, you can probably safely invoice for a few hours of "XML
research", but it shouldn't be big enough to be more than a line item
in the whole project invoice.

On the plus side, acquiring knowledge is always expensive, and almost
always worth the expense. :-)

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?