Billing client for studying documentation

I have a php project I have been working on for several months.  The
client's requirements have expanded to include interfacing to an online
service using xml, which I was familiar with but have never worked with
prior to this project.  I have spent a good number of hours reading up on
xml, and learning how to use it to integrate with this online service.  I
have also spent hours poring over hundreds of pages of documentation for the
online service itself.

My question is this - should I be billing the client for this time?  It is
needed to properly work with this framework, but it is not programming time
in itself.  Googling the topic has been useless.

Any advice?

Mike