Re: Remote Robot Control with PHP

I totally agree with your view. PHP does not bring in any "added value" into
this project. The primary impetus behind me using PHP was my personal liking
towards PHP. But this is a good point to ponder upon - what benefits does PHP
offer to the academic community over traditional cgi tools.

One thing is the ease of configuration and deployment of PHP. As someone
doing research, I do not want to get bogged up with the overwhelming
intricacies involved with installing and configuring a servlet or
configurting a .net environment. At least I find them too complex. PHP on the
other hand saves so much time, that I can just concentrate on writing the
scirpt and generating the result instead of googling on how to troubleshoot a
misbehaving cgi program.

And I kind of disagree with you about the overhead issue. I did try a servlet
running on a TomCat and I could say PHP on a Apache was not too bad at all.
And applets are a big security headache.

Besides I am not sure if there are any licensing issues involved with Java.

Any other inputs for the list? I can use some ideas for my papers. ha ha..

Cheers,

Prathap