Re: One-page password-protected file

On 24/10/06, Richard Lynch <ceo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Can't you just use $_SESSION ?

Or is that also out?

Once the user is authenticated, $_SESSION['username'] = $username; and
you're done.

No passing passwords, hashed or not, back and forth.

Somebody can still hijack the session, but you gain nothing by
exposing the password or the hash of the password in that regard.

If they are about to do something particularly sensitive, force them
to re-authenticate with the password.

And in your code, you only then need the HASH of the password, not the
password itself.

I'm not sure if I can use sesssions. The code needs to be as portable
as possible: that means that he will be moving it from server to
server very often. If I knew that 100% of the world's servers had
sessions support, I might go that way.

Dotan Cohen

http://fedorafaqs.org
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/ubuntu.html