Re: IMAP extension causing delays

Edward Kay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need PHP's IMAP extension for my web app but it is really slowing my
> server up.
>
> My setup: Fedora Core 5, Apache 2.2.2, PHP 5.1.4 (run as CGI with suPHP),
> PHP IMAP extension - all standard FC5 RPMs. The test page is simple - just a
> call to phpinfo().
>
> Without the IMAP extension, the response time is almost immediate. With the
> IMAP extension it takes 2-3 seconds to respond - sometimes as much as 4
> secs.
>
> Watching with 'top', I can see php-cgi is called immediately when the
> request is received. With the IMAP extension installed, after php-cgi
> starts, it then drops to the end of the 'top' list, consuming 0% CPU and
> 2.0% memory. It remains there for the 2-3 second delay before coming into
> play again an running the script quickly. Without the IMAP extension, it
> just ends quickly having finished the request.
>
> From this, it is clear to me there is some major delay being introduced by
> the loading of the IMAP extension. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

use php as an apache module - thereby the startup delay is only noticed when
the webserver starts - this assumes that the problem is a startup problem ...

what you describe could be down to a dns configuration error - i.e. the imap extension
is trying to resolve some domainname and having a hard time of it.... I can't remember
the specifics of such issues but I know that the archives of this list will turn up more info
regarding dns config problems (that cause slow downs)