RE: IMAP extension causing delays

Thanks for your suggestions John. At the moment, I do need to run it as a
CGI as I need different php.ini files for each virtual host.

I think there may well be some issues with DNS, as suggested by Jochem. My
configuration of DNS stuff locally is a bit patchy :) I'll investigate this
avenue first...