Re: Crossing over to the Darkside?

On Sat, October 14, 2006 7:52 am, Ross wrote:
> I am very suprised how easy  things like user auhtentication and form
> validation is. Literally in minutes. Even though I have written a
> similar
> script many times for php there is always some tweeking or modifying
> required before it fits the project. The asp object model is far
> superior,
> something that PHP developers can't really argue against.

It makes the easy things easy, and the hard things harder. :-)

> -What is planned for the next version of PHP?

Google for "PHP 6 Roadmap"
Subscribe to php-internals or read its archives
There's no "secret" path of what's coming down the pike -- More like
wading through tons of arguments, actually. :-)

> -How many of  you use both of the technologies?

I used to use ASP -- Never again.
Okay, wait... Yeah, hand me $1,000,000 up-front as a signing bonus,
and I'll consider it.  This is not a joke.

> -What influences your decision when using either ASP, .NET, or PHP

If you want to do anything USEFUL in ASP or .NET, you can expect to
pay through the nose, or get nickel and dimed to death for things that
kinda sorta don't really work right, but they're cheap.

> I know people feel very strongly about PHP, however I don't want to
> start an
> argument, just want a decent discussion,

I'm not trying to be argumentative, though it probably sounds that way...

This is simply my real-world experience of ASP.

YMMV

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?