Re: Crossing over to the Darkside?

I agree with Roman and Rory's comments, but I figure I might be able to add something, so here goes...

On Oct 14, 2006, at 5:52 AM, Ross wrote:

I am very suprised how easy  things like user auhtentication and form
validation is. Literally in minutes. Even though I have written a similar
script many times for php there is always some tweeking or modifying
required before it fits the project.

Checkout :
	- Zend Studio
	- Zend Platform
	- Zend Framework
	- Dreamweaver

Google search:
	- "PHP Framework"
	- "PHP library"

Also checkout Ruby on Rails. Last, but not least, search the PHP mailing list for other available PHP frameworks for leads.

Keep in mind that editors may save you some work, but they often use a generic approach - bloated code, less efficient code, code that doesn't meet the specific needs of your project, code that's difficult to change without fighting the editor, and code that's more difficult to troubleshoot when you run into problems. Some people are actually faster when coding manually, but that applies to C# just as much as it does to PHP.

The asp object model is far superior,
something that PHP developers can't really argue against.

On what basis are you saying one is superior? It sounds like you're still trying to learn the differences between your options in order to choose which one to focus on. Please list individual reasons for the superiority that you're talking about and give people a chance to provide counter arguments or counter examples. Every language, development platform, and development library has strengths and weaknesses.

Now I know asp .net is not ideal for all projects but I am now thinking that there are some projects that would be suited to the use of .net and the
development time would be greatly reduced.

Sure, but the same thing could be said for PHP and some of it's available development tools.

I would like to know

-What is planned for the next version of PHP?

In case you're not already checking, you'll have a more balanced comparison if you also find out what's planned for the next version of ASP or .NET.

-How many of  you use both of the technologies?

I do. It's more expensive. There's a lot more work in applying updates. There's also a lot more work to stay current with changes in technology; Jack of all trades, master of none.

-What influences your decision when using either ASP, .NET, or PHP

The individual needs of each project. It's usually best to stick with whatever the customer is using if they already have a large investment in a particular technology. However, it is sometimes cost effective to switch if the customer can afford it - Google "PHP versus ASP" or "PHP versus .NET" for plenty of examples. Google "Linux versus Windows"; this ties into the debate. Compare the cost of hiring developers for each of the technologies. Compare the cost of hosting on Linux versus hosting on Windows. Compare the security of IIS versus Apache. And, like someone else mentioned, compare your value in being able to develop on one platform versus your value in being able to develop for one server platform versus your value in being able to develop for all of the server platforms that Apache/PHP work under. I've seen examples of .NET being implemented under UNIX; they didn't work all that well from what I saw, but researching this might also add to your pool of knowledge on which direction to go.

-Ed