Text from Excel csv file loaded into MySQL table

Can anyone point me to a really good end to end tutorial on extracting text from an Excel csv file and uploading it into MySQL via a PHP script? There are lots of bits and pieces on the Web and in the PHP manual but I haven't found a really comprehensive article yet. I have Welling and Thomson's book but again it's not detailed enough.

I've got a script at the moment which works fine with known values (generated by a program I own) but I now need to cater for files prepared by other people which may have all sorts of characters in them.

A typical line of text may look something like this:-

123456,999999,Computer Systems,Desktops/Towers,HP,DX6100M,DX6100M,"127 SHAWAK HARBAN, DUCK'S POINT",MUMBAI

I think I need to do something like this:-

Open the file
   Get the current line
Convert it to an array (making sure I handle any commas etc in the user text)
       Map the array to the MySQL fields
       Upload it to the database, escaping as appropriate
Continue until all lines have been read.

I know I'm not the first person to have had to do this but can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Alan