RE: Best open source project/framework to support a php training course?

There are a number of frameworks that you can use from PEAR (though many
argue over whether it is a framework), Solar, CakePHP, Symfony, Zend's,
and many many more.  As for most OS projects - I don't know of a
particular project that uses a particular framework (someone feel free
to tell me otherwise).  Many of the larger (aka well known) OS projects
tend to be hodged podged together from what I have been told (again
someone feel free to contradict me).

Might I make a suggestion to you - no matter which framework/OS project
you use... Have it be in PHP5.  Yeah it may restrict you in options, but
that is where PHP is going and to my mind that is what someone new to
PHP should be learning.

You should also make sure to go over security in one of your classes -
the intro would be my preferred class since security is a mindset as
well as a way of coding.  And it is easier to create habits then unlearn
and relearn them.  Just my $0.02

OK - I'll shut up now.

Respectfully,
Ligaya Turmelle