Re: Re: Best open source project/framework to support a php training course?

At 07:02 AM 9/27/2006, Tony Marston wrote:

If you want a web application framework that your students can play with may
I suggest http://www.radicore.org  This is already being used as a training
aid by a university in the far east, so it must have some merit.

--
Tony Marston
http://www.tonymarston.net

""Pinocchio007"" <pirinet@xxxxxx> wrote in message
>I am in charge of outlining a PHP/mySQL course (intro and advanced) for an
> education institute. I would like to include in the course program an
> in-depth study of an existing open-source project, allowing the students
> be confronted, from an early stage, to a real-world environment. My
> problem
> is simple: which project/framework to choose in order to bring the current
> "best practice" to our students, and prepare them for the future. Not
> being
> a professional PHP developer myself, I would appreciate any
> recommendation.
> Which OS project would you include? Which framework? And why?
>
> My first idea was "osCommerce", then somebody recommended "Typo3",
> followed
> by a "go for Joomla". Well, I am hesitating.
> Anybody can recommend an article/paper comparing the different PHP
> frameworks/application architectures?
> Is there a list where such topics are discussed?
>
> Thanks for your help and recommendations.

For a start, there are a lot of frameworks, with passionate adherents and users, so there is no one "best".

I wouldn't suggest a framework - how about a component that works with something else. The AMFPHP project which provides a data link to Flash, or PDO (Persistent Data Objects)?

If you really think a framework is the way to go, contact Michael Ho, whose QCODO framework is somewhat different than many others as it has evolved from VB roots and is a code-generation framework. It works v. cleverly with the database, is highly modular, has a reasonably active group of developers working on custom controls, etc. PHP5 and MySQL 5 - definitely current. You might also have a look at Seagull or Cake, the latter being a PHP-like adaptation of Ruby on Rails.

The thing to remember is that PHP is a templating language and doesn't necessarily need another structure built atop it. If you take students down the framework path watch that they do not stop learning PHP but start learning the templating language instead.

PHP Architect has run some interesting articles on frameworks, and Chris Shifflet has a regular security column - always worth reading.

Hope this has been helpful - Miles