Re: Re: PHP Frameworks - Opinion

Hello,

on 08/03/2006 02:53 PM Robert Cummings said the following:
>>> The main thing in Manual's post that got me writing this in the first
>>> place was :
>>>
>>> "Imagine if there would be only one PDBC (JDBC for PHP). Instead of that
>>> we have a never ending choice of PHP database abstraction layers that
>>> does not help newcoming developers that are lost and don't know what to
>>> use."
>> I admit I have not expressed myself clearly. What I meant is not that
>> people should be disallowed to implement alternative APIs, but rather
>> that they should not feel the need to do it.
>
> I think you may be missing the point. Many people probably don't feel
> the "need" to create an alternative API, they may just feel the desire
> to do so. It's a great way to practice your skills, and in the end, you
> have a nice API that meets your needs.

I do not think many people want to reinvent the wheel. Only those that
feel forced to do it, because the alternatives are insufficient, will do
it, only if they feel capable of doing it.

If there were consensual API specifications like in Java world, very few
people would feel forced to reinvent the wheel.

>> In the Java world, JDBC is the de facto standard because Java developers
>> do not feel the need to develop other database APIs. That happens
>> because JDBC is a standard API defined by several players from the SQL
>> database world that sit together and defined a consensual API specification.
>>
>> In the PHP world there is no such organization nor the vision of the
>> benefits of cooperating to define such standards. I already gave an
>> example of the benefits of having such standard API specifications in
>> the other comment to Rob.
>
> Almost all APIs can be wrapped when necessary. Hell, the PHP engine is
> in many cases just a wrapper around a C API.

The things you say just to avoid agreeing! ;-)

Most of those C APIs are also not based in any consensual standard API
specifications. Because of that, there will always be people that
rewrite other API for the same purpose either in C or even in pure PHP.
The lack of consense is the problem.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos