RE: Re: PHP Frameworks - Opinion

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 13:43 +0200, Arno Kuhl wrote:
> I'm not so sure if the botanist wasn't saying in a rather confused way that
> he was playing on the same side as PHPClasses, even if he did profess to be
> in the other team. Did he say he was rolling his own (in a way only
> botanists can do) or not?

What I am saying is that PHPClasses is a cool site, hell, I have even
contributed a bunch of classes to it; but, what Manuel is saying, I do
not agree with. I am all for choice, I am all for my project, and I am
all for working collaboratively.

I _choose_ to code strictly OOP, I don't have to.
I choose to abstract almost everything in my code, nobody forcing me to
do that.
I choose to use many different authors GPL/BSD/PHP licenced code in my
projects, not because of any other reason that I am lazy, and choose not
to re-invent the wheel.
I choose to do these things because I have the option to choose.

I also choose to release every piece of code that I have ever written
under a Free licence, not a freedom from price licence only. I choose to
release all of my publications under a CC-BY-SA licence too. I am free,
I think freely, and I have the freedom to do what needs to be done. I
sleep well at night on the rare occasions that I am not coding Free
Software. :)

The main thing in Manual's post that got me writing this in the first
place was :

"Imagine if there would be only one PDBC (JDBC for PHP). Instead of that
we have a never ending choice of PHP database abstraction layers that
does not help newcoming developers that are lost and don't know what to
use."

Now in summation I say "That is just asinine". That is what makes PHP
cool, especially in Africa. period.

--Paul

All Email originating from UWC is covered by disclaimer http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/uwc2006/content/mail_disclaimer/index.htm