Re: PHP Debugger Recommendations

Thiago Silva,

Thank you for responding, and for recommending some PHP debuggers that I had not yet heard of.
I'm not familiar with Windows options (only PHPEdit comes to my mind), but as far as I can tell, Zend, NuSphere, Komodo and PHPEclipse are main options when it comes to feature rich IDEs, and I guess all of them are multi plataform.
These are all ones I've looked at, except for PHPEclipse. Is it not the case that with PHPEclipse one needs to install the Eclipse framework and then PHPEclipse as a plug in?

For GNU/Linux, there are some folks using Quanta+gubed (a pure php debugger) I belive.
I hadn't realized there was a debugger plug in for Quanta. I'll look into that, as I was using Quanta before for simple editing, and thought it was reasonable enough.

Me, myself, I use Protoeditor, wich is strictly editor+debugger.
I will try out Protoeditor as well.

Just out of curiosity, what specific problems have you encountered by using a multilanguage debugger?
"Problems" is perhaps too harsh a word. All I meant was that with options for dealing with multiple languages, that adds a lot of unneeded interface and feature options. I'm sure it's great if you actually debug more than one language, and it can save you from switching applications. But if you're dealing with strictly one language, then it's a little bloated.

The deal breaker is that when it comes to debugging forms, one has to manually simulate inputs.

What do you mean by "simulate"?
It's a little hard to describe, but lets say you want to debug a script that has a submit form in it. Instead of hitting submit and having Komodo pull in and use the $_POST variables, you have to start from the page that receives the $_POST data, and then manually type in all the input you expect a user to give you. There's a page that describes what I mean in their online documentation, but I can't find it at the moment.

All I can say about NushPhere is that I've used it in GNU/Linux for a while, but that was 3 years ago.

On the forums on the NuShere page, they actively discuss the Linux package. So it is definitely available somehow. And apparently they are on the verge of releasing an updated Linux version. But trying to find any currently available download page for it was an Easter egg hunt that exceeded my patience.

What about Protoeditor or PHPEclipse?
I am going to try them out. Thank you for suggesting them.

--
Dave M G