PHP Debugger Recommendations

PHP List,

I have been experimenting with using Zend Studio the last week or so, and I apologize in advance if anyone here takes offense, but it has been a most unsatisfactory experience.

In order to debug a script that involves anything like a form with user $_POST data, one needs to install the nebulous and fragile Zend Platform. To make a long story short, I have not yet succeeded in overcoming it's overwhelming complexity to make it work, or solve all the problems in installation and running it.

When I asked here before (to the annoyance of some) about Zend, someone said that there were "plenty of free alternatives".

While free would be nice, I am willing to pay for a commercial product up to a hundred or so US. I would prefer open source and all, but my higher priority is something that works well.

Looking on the net, I can find many PHP *editors*, but they do not have debugging features. I need something with call stacks, break points, etc...

For fully qualified debuggers, I've found Komodo, which is okay, but it's made a little cumbersome by the fact that it can debug multiple languages. The deal breaker is that when it comes to debugging forms, one has to manually simulate inputs.

There is also NuSphere, and other Windows options, but I need something that will also work on Linux. NuSphere doesn't seem to have released for Linux yet, as I can't find anywhere to download it, despite having searched their site.

There's Xdebug, but it looks very raw and not ready for prime time.

Beyond that, I haven't found many, unless I'm mistook some editors for not being debuggers (Quanta, Bluefish...)

I only need to debug locally, and have Apache, MySQL, and PHP already running. I'm collaborating with someone who uses Windows, so something cross platform, Java based or whatever else, would be best.

Are there any recommendations?

--
Dave M G