Re: Zend Studio, phpMyAdmin, and mysql.sock

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 14:57, tedd wrote:
> At 1:42 PM -0400 7/14/06, Robert Cummings wrote:
> >You have asked a Zend specific question, the problem lies with Zend it
> >would seem, and not PHP. While the two are obviously related, your
> >question is not about PHP.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Rob.
>
> Rob:
>
> You're certainly right, but do you think that a developer's question as to how to set up a php IDE should be out of the realm of a general php question?
>
> On one hand, it's common to tell posters to RTFM, but then we also tell them to go elsewhere if they ask a question who's answer is not in the manual -- is that right?
>
> I'm not arguing, I'm just asking for clarification.

Well I didn't tell him to take a hike, I merely clarified why some
others might not find his question quite on topic. I didn't think my
response was negative towards the OP, and having re-read it I still
don't think it was negative. It was just a comment on how he might want
to lower his expectations of the list when fielding a Zend question. I
mean it's akin to saying "Hi I generate HTML using PHP, can you tell me
how to add borders to my table?". Anyways, we answer those questions all
the time and sometimes we tell the poster to go use google or yahoo or
whatnot. As someone said in the past, was it John Nichel? It seems we on
the PHP list are experts on everything Internet. We're asked everything
from tcp to sql to css to js to ftp to insert whatever I've missed.

At any rate, I wasn't going to bother responding at all, but giving all
the credit to Zend struck me as wrong, and once I responded to that I
thought the bottom of the bucket analogy fitting, and then, and ... well
anyways :)

Cheers,
Rob.