Browser-based scanning

Hello everyone,

I am needing to build a system that allows a user to visit a website driven
by a unix hosted apache web server running PHP, login, and scan an image off
of a TWAIN-compliant scanning device, and upload it to the web server where
PHP and ImageMagick do some post-processing of the image.

Does anyone know of a PHP-based solution that does something like this?  The
link from the scanning device to the web server is the big unknown for me.
Do I have to use ActiveX?  Can ActiveX interface with PHP?

Thanks
Dan