Re: RSS Generation

On Mon, April 10, 2006 8:37 am, Robbert van Andel wrote:
> I am working on creating some RSS feeds on my website using PHP.  I'm
> still
> learning RSS but it seems easy enough. I managed to create the RSS
> giving
> the file a PHP extension.  When I tried saving it with an xml
> extension and
> adding a .htaccess file to the directory in which the file was saved,
> I get
> prompted to save the file instead of being able to view the file in a
> browser.  The only line in the .htaccess file is AddType
> application/x-httpd-php xml.
>
> First off, and I'm sorry that this isn't a PHP specific question, but
> does
> RSS require an XML extension?  And if it does, how do I get the server
> serve the PHP file correctly if I rename it with the xml extension?

First off, check that httpd.conf is even USING .htaccess
You can find/read httpd.conf, or you can make a new directory with
index.html in it, surf to it, then put something totally bogus in an
.htaccess file in that directory.
If .htaccess is "on" then you'll get a 500 server error because of
your bogus .htaccess settings.

Next, you need to check WHAT you are allowed to override in .htaccess
For that, you'll have to actually read httpd.conf, if you can, or do a
LOT of experiments if your webhost has it non-readable.  (My webhost
used to do that, but he got smarter)

If all else fails, you can do:

http://example.com/rss.php/whatever.xml

where rss.php is your REAL script, and whatever.xml is junk that
Apache and PHP will cheerfully ignore.

Actually, they don't TOTALLY ignore it, they store it in
$_SERVER['PATH_INFO'] for you, in case you need it.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm