RSS Generation

I am working on creating some RSS feeds on my website using PHP.  I'm still
learning RSS but it seems easy enough. I managed to create the RSS giving
the file a PHP extension.  When I tried saving it with an xml extension and
adding a .htaccess file to the directory in which the file was saved, I get
prompted to save the file instead of being able to view the file in a
browser.  The only line in the .htaccess file is AddType
application/x-httpd-php xml.

First off, and I'm sorry that this isn't a PHP specific question, but does
RSS require an XML extension?  And if it does, how do I get the server to
serve the PHP file correctly if I rename it with the xml extension?

Thanks,

Robbert van Andel