Re: A question about max_execution_time

On Mon, April 10, 2006 1:48 pm, Eric Butera wrote:
> Thank you for your response.  I did read that in the manual, I
> promise.
> That is why I included the sleep function in my example.  Shouldn't
> the
> sleep function count as execution time?  One thing I didn't metion
> earlier,
> for the sake of simplicity, is that my script is pulling an XML file.
> After
> I get the XML file I parse through it which also takes time too.  The
> recordset is about 6 thousand records so it does take a while.

'sleep' doesn't count.

That's even in the 3rd to last User Contributed Note. :-)

Always read the Notes.  You may have to wade through some [bleep] but
you'll find some nuggets of info well worth the effort.

The primary goal of set_time_limit is to keep scripts from slamming
the server and taking ALL the CPU time.

If the script is sleeping, it's not taking CPU time.

I missed the beginning of the thread, but if you need to count 'sleep'
time, you'll just have to code it yourself somehow...

I suppose the first item on your agenda might be to contribute a
get_time_spent() function to the PHP source that returned whatever
value PHP is using to track this CPU usage. :-)

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm