Re: Linux distributions and tools for Linux/Apache/PHP/MySQL dev

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 02:13:15AM +1100, David Tulloh wrote:
> Curt Zirzow wrote:
>

> > Before I get into what distib to use there are a few things i'd
> > like to point out:
> >
> >   1) Avoid using the packaging system the OS provides for the
> >      developement server.  If you do, you will be under the control
> >      of the OS for your choice of versions of webserver, db server,
> >      php, or any dependency that is needed for those.
> >

> I would consider the above to be the worst advice you could possibly
> give someone starting out in Linux land.  The easiest, nastiest and most
> confusing way to screw up your linux install is to start manually
> installing packages.  I killed my first install and nearly my second
> before I learnt my lesson.

Yeah, i guess you're correct that this isn't very good advise. I
guess my point is more on the fact that you are limited on what
version of application you have available within the distros
package system.

> Dependancy hell is the reason why package management systems exist, to
> compile php5 on a fairly clean debian install I would need to install
> roughly 130 packages, there is no way that I'm going to try to do that
> by hand.
>
> Compiling packages has it's place, many of my computers have a manually
> compiled PHP, but it's definantly not something to do on a first date.
> I also use the package manager to get all the dependancies (apt-get
> build-dep php5) and all the related programs such as apache and postgres.

Very much agreed.

Thanks for this pointing out, i guess my mindset wasn't focused on
a new user of linux.

Curt.
--
cat .signature: No such file or directory