Re: Altering subject of email in a pop3 mailbox

On Thursday 23 February 2006 11:49, IG wrote:
> > IG wrote:
> >> Is it possible to alter a subject line (or body for that matter) of an
> >> email in a pop3 mailbox?

> Thanks- I completely see your point.
>
> How do antispam filters work on client's computers? They seem to have no
> problem with adding to subjects. Also our hosting provider uses a spam
> filter which adds it to the subject line. However I am finding that not
> particularly good.

ISP Mailbox -> POP3 over TCP/IP -> client filter app -> client pc mailbox

Once the data is in mid-stream across the net, the filtering app can affect it
any way it likes.

Ditto for the ISP method, they just tend to do it as the mail is received and
before it gets written to the mail spool.

You can change things on a POP server, if you have access to the OS on the POP
server and can edit the mail spool.  Not normally available to anyone but the
system administrator(s).