RE: PHP documentation solutions? (PHPDoc, Doxygen, ???)

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 15:38, Jay Blanchard wrote:
> [snip]
> In the spirit of re-inventing the wheel... I rolled my own JinnDoc.
> [/snip]
>
> My single largest arguement against these kinds of tools were the additional
> mark-up required.  Code commentary, done properly, can yield the same
> results without additional mark-up. I'd rather be able to insert a code
> comment or html comment with a simple 'type' to tell me what the commentary
> is. It makes it much more universal where auto-doc harvesters are concerned
> and removes the requirement for page level elements to be stated first, etc.
>
> example(s)
>
> /* type=description
>  *
>  * describe whatever is being described here
>  */
>
> or
>
> <!-- type="description"
> whatever is being described
> -->
>
> or
>
> $myBigVar = 'large' //type=variable

I see your point and considered it before I rolled my own, but rolling
my own using the existing TemplateJinn system allowed me the flexibility
of custom tags and all the goodies that already come with the
TemplateJinn system making it that much easier to incorporate JinnDocs
into any existing page layout scheme or whatnot and to make use of the
already existing site compilation system. Also with the system you
describe precision formatting becomes necessary since the parser needs
to pull out implied details based on blank lines, spacing, indentation,
etc... but as you also show it can make for a cleaner inline document :)

Cheers,
Rob.