Re: HN CAPTCHA at http://www.phpclasses.org

Manuel:

Your points are well taken.

A good CAPTCHA must be fuzzy. If you know other fuzzy CAPTCHA besides
these, it may help to sharing that knowledge.

The CAPTCHA I was primarily referring to was the image one -- however, it's just another barrier.

I am sure there are all sorts of ways to fool a computer while making it easy for a human to comply, like "Enter the third word of the first paragraph"; or "What is the color of an orange?"; or presenting an easy question from a vast lists of questions provided at random.

While computers could be designed to answer such questions, the amount of time required would be better spent going after those sites that don't have any CAPTCHA.

As for me, I'm trying to understand both sides and see if there is a midway solution. However, it appears that both sides are steadfastly rooted in their opinion. One side wants barriers and the other side doesn't -- mutually exclusive positions.

I can't help but think there must be a software solution.

tedd