Re: memory leak when referencing associative arrays

Jochem Maas escribió:

Gonzalo MC wrote:

Hi Jochem,

Thank you very much for your reply!

no problem :-)

Your reply lend me this morning to had a look again at the code, and I have solved more than half of the trouble caused by a leak on a PhpGtk function! :-)

Sorry for the more long reply than it should be, but I hope you'll have the time to read it. Unfortunately, I have not fount an easyier way to explain the thing and get to something with meaning.

well I read it, but I didn't understand all of it. not to worry.

as a sidenote - reading about the objects (some gtk style wotsit) in your codebase I got the impression that the unfreed memory is possibly [mostly] to do with those - my memory usage problems are always to do with objects (remember in php that object variables basically work semantically like scalar values as opposed to php5 where object variables are handles to objectsa and effectively[, always,] work like
[php] references of normal variables)

I'd concentrate on getting those objects 'tuned' - generous but highly controlled use of the '&' symbol to force objects to be passed by reference where possible/relevant
(e.g. when using the 'new MyObject;' syntax) can also help.

Hi again,

Yeah you're right the memory usage problems always have to do with objects on php4, and using '&' is of great help, but in my case, with the actual implementation, I've tested almost all the ways in the exact points where data is handled, and fount no reliable way for reusing reserved memory from the interpreter other than going to functional style programming and avoid setting object properties, etc.

Fortunately, my application almost does not create any object other than in the beginning/initialization of and for the GUI, for what I have some helper classes to abstract interfaces, but they are all instantiated on the program startup and the only objects I do create "on the run time" are perhaps the new style copyes according to each new insert or update to the existing widgets on screen, and they are almost all referenced byref using & when adding pixmaps and such - note the $astyle = gtk::rc_get_style($ctree); line per example is only done once before all items loop and it does not take any memory, not the case when creating or transfering a widget from a way to another where the & really matters- but the trouble is when you call for each node in the loop to the $astyle->copy(); method per example-.

All the data I generate, update or read are arrays with numeric or alfanumeric keys, in wich I place another array with some alfanumeric keys.

The data is generated by an object. It is stored in global variables, and some references to these are keept on that or other object properties, when processing or updating data based on the last data received. I think the trick was to put these references to the global array items, outside these objects, in the global namespace too, but only worked when the data was processed from plain functions, -actually the processing work is done from a class instance that extends another root class-.

Maybe it haves something to do with the processing and gui update loops, fired by gtk_timeout's from inside objects calling object methods... Maybe on refactoring, now I have more knowledge about whats going on, I will notice of.

I expect to get soon the time needed to refactor again this and I'll post the concrete workaround for my case, perhaps could help somebody to get a more clear idea of ways to avoid these memory usage issues on php4 / PhpGtk1. Until then, I'll though a good plan so when refactoring going in stages of "migration" so I could really find the real nature of the issue -object properties are references to some globals / processing of globals fired by gtk_timeouts calling object methods by reference / whatever it could be-.

And thank you again for your response. I know perhaps it does not matter much but... :-) thats it.

Best Regards,
Gonzalo.