RE: odd behavior

[snip]
If I recall, PHP on Windows will look for PHP.INI in your Windows system
folder (in this case C:\WINNT) first, then in the folder where PHP is
installed.  Deleting the PHP.INI under WINNT should be fine (sounds like
removing that makes things work ok for you).  I'd think phpinfo() would show
that it's in C:\PHP (or whereever) in that case.
[/snip]

c:\php is in the path statement, but it does not show it as being there when
I remove it from c:\winnt

[snip]
If for some reason you need to use PHP.INI in C:\WINNT then let me ask...
[/snip]

Changes in php.ini are not reflected in phpinfo() after an IIS restart
(cache cleared). For instance, the extensions folder is c:\php\extensions,
the ini reports c:\php4

[snip]
if you go to http://www.site.com/ (no index.php) on it, is that when you get
the 404?  Then you say you refresh and it works fine? (does it still read
http://www.site.com/ or does it read http://www.site.com/index.php before
you hit refresh?)
[/snip]

Yes.It still reads http://www.site.com before and after refresh.

[snip]
If you get 404, it's the web server telling the browser it can't find the
page.  So it shouldn't be a permissions issue or anything with PHP.INI
(although I'd check to make sure...  IIS may not have permissions to read
things from C:\WINNT for security reasons... by default at least... or could
be that owner/group is now "jay" or "users" instead of "system" or whatever
it needs to be for IIS to have access to the PHP.INI file.. I forget the
exact permissions).
[/snip]

I'll check it.

[snip]
If removing C:\WINNT\PHP.INI doesn't work.. or isn't an option... and
permissions look ok...  then I'm not sure.  But drop a line back when you've
messed around with it some more and maybe we can figure it out.
[/snip]