Re: PHP and MSSQL on Linux

On Tue, November 1, 2005 8:03 pm, Robbert van Andel wrote:
> A few months back I wrote the list asking for help making a connection
> to a
> MS SQL database from our linux webserver.  At that time I was able to
> make a
> successfull connection on Fedora Core 1 after installing php-mssql.rpm
> and a
> freetds rpm.  When I upgradd to FC4, I was unable to continue my
> project
> because the RPMs had not been built for PHP5.0.4, whic is the version
> we run
> now.
>
> Today, I was able to get the version of php-mssql I needed and
> installed it
> successfully.  I am able to make a connection to our ms sql server
> using
> tsql.  There is a mssql.ini file in the php.d directory and the
> mssql.so
> file is in /usr/lib/php/modules/.  Using the get_loaded_extensions
> fuction,
> I see that mssql is a loaded module and the phpinfo() function shows
> me
> mssql configuration files.  All indicators tell me that I should be
> able to
> connect.
>
> Obvsiously, since I'm posting to the list, you can guess that it's not
> working.  The error message I get back is useless as I'm only told
> that the
> connection failed.  Does anyone know anything else I need to check to
> get
> the connection working?
>
> Upon troubleshooting, I found that there is no traffic going to
> database
> server when I used TCPDUMP.  There is traffic going when I use tsql.

Check the ports on the db server to see if PHP is even TRYING to
connect... Or would TCPDUMP have *something* for an attempted
connection?...

What's the connection data you are using (minus real username/password
of course).

Have you tried the Sybase drivers?  They used to be better/faster than
the MSSQL drivers anyway.  (this was long ago)

IIRC, there was a way to get multiple error messages out of MSSQL, and
it would only give you the last one unless you jumped through hoops to
get more than one...  Dig into that, maybe.

Sorry.  It's been a long time since I was naive enough to use MS
products. :-)

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm