Re: Re: Template style question

Robert Cummings wrote:
On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 15:25, James Benson wrote:

Robert Cummings wrote:

On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 14:55, James Benson wrote:

Give smarty a try rather than re-inventing the wheel

http://smarty.php.net

What's wrong with re-inventing the wheel? I guess your car or bike has
wooden wheels eh!? I mean if nobody had re-invented the wheel from the
wooden version, that's all that would exist. I guess if nobody had
re-invented the operating system we'd all be stuck with MS-DOS or
whatever came before that, and so on and so forth. "Don't re-invent the
wheel" is such an ignorant statement.

Cheers,
Rob.

Their is nothing at all wrong with re-inventing the wheel but where templating engines are concerned I dont see anyone coming up with new ideas that has not already been thought up by some tom, dick or harry, plus with all the 1000's of engines already created their is bound to be one that suits everyones requirements.

Perhaps, but similar issues crop up for content management systems and
many people end up rolling their own after being disgusted with none of
the myriad of existing system fitting their needs.

My suggestion could save hours, weeks or maybe even months of programming time dont you think?

Maybe, unless he's just enjoying the learning experience, which IMHO can
be priceless.

Either way, I jumped on your reply because you didn't word it as a
suggestion, you worded it as a command.

Cheers,
Rob.

Fair enough, everyone has their own opinion :-)