Re: No forums?

On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 02:37, GamblerZG wrote:
> Robert Cummings wrote:
> >
> > I didn't use the word efficiency, I used the word efficacy (feel free to
> > look it up).
>
> They're synonyms, and I do not see a big difference in their meanings.
> Feel free to disambiguate.

Efficiency is about output versus input. Efficacy is about the ability
to produce an effect regardless of input. While there is obviously a
degree of overlap in their meaning, and while they can be considered
synonyms due to that overlap, they are not the same. Just as gargantuan
and large are synonyms, they are hardly the same thing in context. As
any English teacher will tell you, rampantly replacing words in an essay
with synonyms will quickly devolve the meaning into drivel.

So now that I've cleared that up, the point I was making in a lot less
words, is that by splitting the list into multiple places, one could
expect less solutions to be in either place, and while the sum of the
parts will probably be equal to the whole, the information would be
dispersed and diluted thus reducing the effectiveness (not efficiency
though I'm sure that would be reduced also) of both locations.

Cheers,
Rob.