Re: php mail function vs smtp server

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 12:56:01PM +0200, Clive wrote:
> Thanks I actually want to send 24 000 emails with 2 meg attachments.

Oh. You definitely don't want to be using an external SMTP server if you
can help it then, and you should really be splitting those up into
chunks (no more than 1,000 at a time really) using something like PEAR
Queue as has already been suggested.

> There also another option with the class: using the sendmail program,
> but  won't the php mail function use sendmail anyway

As far as I know, mail() just sends stuff to whatever the sendmail
binary is on your system, although I haven't really looked into it. Of
course you don't have to be running sendmail as most MTA will install
binaries such as /usr/sbin/sendmail which actually point to postfix or
qmail or whatever you're running.

Paul

--
Rogue Tory