Re: php mail function vs smtp server

On 31 Oct 2005, at 10:34, Richard Heyes wrote:

Depends on your setup. If you're on Linux/Unix you could use the mail() function along with the "-odq" option to Sendmail/Postfix/ Exim etc (fifth argument to the mail() function) which will dump all the mails into the MTAs queue. After this, the MTA will handle delivery. This is probably the quickest for this platform.

I agree. Sending directly is usually reserved for Windows machines with no local MTA and is usually way slower and doesn't handle queuing. I'd advise anyone to use PHPMailer for mail anyway as it makes it much more reliable to deal with all the other stuff like MIME encoding, plus it has support for all these sending methods without having to change much code. I use it with qmail.

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
Synchromedia Limited: Putting you in the picture