Re: php mail function vs smtp server

On Mon, October 31, 2005 5:22 am, Paul Waring wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 12:56:01PM +0200, Clive wrote:
>> Thanks I actually want to send 24 000 emails with 2 meg attachments.

Woof.

mail() is DEFINITELY the wrong answer!

Firing up an SMTP connection and spewing 24,000 emails with 2 meg
attachments at it is *ALSO* a wrong answer, almost for sure.

You will probably have a very unhappy SysAdmin behind that SMTP
server, and odds are really really really good they'll have a long
line of VERY unhappy SysAdmins behind them.

You can pretty much count on being labeled (hopefully mis-labeled) as
a spammer almost immediately.

2 meg attachments are your first biggest problem.  Lose them.  Include
a link to whatever it is for the user to download the 2 meg at their
leisure.  This is non-negotiable.  You WILL regret the 2 meg
attachment long before the 24,000th user gets it.

Queue up the emails and send them out over a controlled time.

If there's ANY question that somebody might not want this email, don't
send it.  Get them to opt-in first, if you haven't already.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm